A wonderful fragrant chicken biryani which is cooked in pressure cooker saving all the time consuming steps of layering and waiting for the biryani to cook in dum. Though biryani gets ready in less than 30 mins yet the flavor is not compromised at all. So next time you want to relish biryani do not procastinate head straight to the kitchen and dish out this aromatic chicken biryani.
Chicken Biryani In Pressure Cooker | How To Make Chicken Biryani In Pressure Cooker At Home
Chicken biryani in a pressure cooker all most sounds impossible. Many people are sceptical of cooking rice in pressure cooker let alone a biryani. But trust me if you follow the soaking process of rice and use the right quantity you will be able to prepare beautiful delicious chicken biryani in your own kitchen. This biryani recipe is requires less effort yet the results are awesome. This chicken biryani can be prepared for your next Dinner Party or potluck. The beauty of this chicken biryani in pressure cooker is the use of freshly grounded biryani masala. It goes well with onion-tomato raita and some kebabs.
- Basmati Rice
- Fried Onions
- Green Chillies
- Whole Spices (Cinnamom, Cloves, Green Cardamom, Brown Cardamom, Nutmeg)
- 2 cup Basmati Rice
- 500 gms Chicken
- 5 Green Chillies sliced in length
- 1/2 cup Fried Onions
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves
- 2 – 3 tblsp Ghee
- 2 tblsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Curd (Dahi)
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup Fried Onions (Barista)
- 1/2 cup finely Coriander Leaves
For Biryani Masala Powder
- 3 tblsp Whole Coriander Seeds (Sabut Dhania)
- 3 Cloves (Laung) 3
- 1″ inch Cinnamon 1
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 whole Brown Cardamom (Moti Elacihi)
- 2 – 3 blades Mace (Jiavitri) 1
- 1 Star Anise (Chakri Phool)
- 4 Green Cardamom (Chotti Elacihi)
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder (jaiphal)
- 4 – 5 Black Stone Flower
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Brown Cardamom (Moti Elaichi)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Green Cardamom (Choti Elacihi)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
How to Make Chicken Biryani In Pressure Cooker :
- Wash and rinse the basmati rice in water 3 – 4 times till the water becomes clear. Soak for 20 minutes. It is Important to soak only and only for 20 mins. As the water quantity used to make this biryani in pressure cooker has to be precise. Any extra soaking would make the rice mushy and soft. So just after 20 mins drain out the water and keep the rice aside. You should soak the rice only when you begin to prepare the chicken. This should take roughly 20 mins and by then the rice will be soaked enough.
Marinating the chicken:
In a bowl add chicken pieces and add all the ingredients given under “for marination”. Mix well and keep it aside for minimum for 30 mins and maximum 2 hours.
Making Biryani Masala:
Meanwhile, dry roast on low flame all the masalas under the “Biryani Masala Powder” and keep it aside. Once cool grind to a fine paste. It is possible to use readymade Biryani Masala too. There are many popular brands like Tata Sampam and Shan Biryani Masala. You can use any. But a freshly gounded biryani takes it to the next level.
- In a pressure cooker, add the ghee and oil and when hot, add the marinated chicken pieces. Let the chicken cook and simmer on medium flame in the ghee for 7 – 10 mins. By then the chicken will be 90% done.
- Mean while in a pan boil 3 cups of water with all the whole spices under the spiced water section. You can skip this step and add all the whole spices in the begining before you add the marinated chicken. But do add the HOT water only and not room temperature. This makes a lot of difference.
- Once the chicken is ready, add the hot boiling water and the soaked rice. Add salt at this stage and with a very light hand give the rice a stir. Do not apply pressure or the rice will break.
- Cook and cook till the water begins to boil.
- Then add some chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, barista and put the lid.
- Cook the rice for just 1 whistle and then switch off the flame and let the steam release naturally. In case you soaked the rice longer than 20 mins in that case after 1 whistle immediately release the pressure from the cooker. This will ensure that the rice does not get mushy or over cooked.
- Once the steam is out fluff up the rice with a fork with a gentle hand and serve with raita and salan.
- Your chicken biryani in pressure cooker is ready.
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Chicken Biryani :
Storage Tips :
- Cool the dish quickly after cooking, ideally within an hour, and keep in airtight containers in the fridge. Do not let it be lying around for hours as it may invite bacteria.
- Do not overload the container
- You can store chicken biryani for 2 days in refrigerator.
Reheating Tips :
Dish is generally best reheated at the place it was cooked.
Microwave: Dish out the biryani in a microwave proof dish, sprinkle some water on the biryani and then microwave it for 4 – 5 mins. After 2 mins take it out and flip the rice. This will ensure all the chicken pieces are also heated equally.
Stovetop: To reheat on a gas stove, put some ghee / butter in a pan and then dish out the biryani on it. Next sprinkle some water the rice and then put a lid and let it cook for next 10 mins. Do check after regularly to make sure that the rice doesn’t begin to burn. After half way round flip the rice and cook for 5 more minutes.