Making sirke wale pyaz is very easy to make at home. Sirke wale pyaz takes the taste of the meal to the next level. They are perfect condiment with an Indian meal. Serving onions in vinegar with Dal Makhani, Butter Chicken or Shahi Paneer will make it a whole restuarant experience. You can make sirke wale pyaz and keep in the refrigerator for later use. You can infact add them to salad and sandwiches to add a bite to your salad.
- 10 – 12 Small Onions / Shallots (About 1 inch in diameter)
- 1 cup White Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tblsp Salt
- 1 tblsp Sugar
- 1 small size Beetroot
- 1 washed Glass Jars
Regular onions can also be used in case small ones are not available. In that case, cut the Onions into very thick slices & follow the same method.
How to Make Vinegar Onions / Sirke Wale Pyaaz :
- Peel and wash the small onions. In case you do not have small onions then you can slice regular onions in thin slices.
- Peel the beetroot and cut in 4 pieces.
- Heat water in a pan along with the salt and sugar.
- Turn the heat off when it comes to a rolling boil.
- Add chopped beetroot pieces into the water.
- Let the water cool down. Remove the beetroot.
- Add the vinegar. Mix well.
- Make + sign on the top of the onions with the help of a sharp knife. Make the cuts are till half the way and not till the end.
- Now add the onions in the reddish water. It is important that the water should be at home temperature otherwise the onions will get cooked and will lose their crunch.
- Let them stay in the water for 1 – 2 hours covered. The color from beet and flavors from vinegar and seasonings will blend in.
- Then move them to a sterilized jar. Cover tightly.
- Refrigerate after 1-2 hours. Use as required.
- These sirke wale pyaz taste best after 2-3 days as the onions mature & the vinegar seeps into each & every petal.
Main dish Options – What To Serve With Sirke Wale Pyaaz :
Storage Tips :
Stays good in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Over time, the onions will lose more of their color and the pickling liquid will become brighter in color, but that’s normal.