Jaisalmeri kala chana is a hidden gem from Rajasthani cuisine Because of unavailability of vegetables through out the year, Rajasthani food uses gramflour (besan), dahi, buttermilk, and dry masalas like dry ginger, kachhri a lot. Jaisalmeri kala chana recipe is like Rajasthani besan kadhi with kale chana. There is no Onion n Garlic. This kadhi needs very little time to prepare once the kala chana are boiled. Black chickpeas in yogurt curry tastes awesome with paratha or boiled rice.
- 1 cup Black Chana
- 1 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi)
- 1 tblsp Green Chilly – Ginger Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tblsp Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1 tblsp Ghee / Oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Black Cardamoms
- Salt to taste
- 1 tblsp Coriander Leaves chopped
How to make black chana yogurt curry :
- Wash and soak kala chana overnight.
- In the morning, drain and pressure cook with 1 tsp salt and 6 – 7 cups of water on high flame. Let the pressure release on it own.
- In a separate bowl mix curd, besan, 1/2 cup water, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and mix well. Make sure no lump forms.
- In a kadai / pan, heat up ghee, add cumin seeds when they crackle add bay leaf and hing .
- Add ginger green chilly paste and sauté for 1 min.
- Now add the besan – curd mixture and keep stirring till it boils.
- Let it cook for 5 – 10 min and then add salt to taste and garam masala.
- Now add kala chana and cover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 8-10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame dish it out and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Jaisalmeri Kala Chana curry with steamed rice or paratha.