Presenting famous Rajasthani gatte ki sabji. It is finger licking delicious and lip smacking. This is the dhaba style gatte ki sabji – full of spices, garlic and oil. The gatte are soft. Follow the recipe closely and you will get soft gatte ki sabji. This is the authentic recipe of Rajasthani gatta curry. This is the gatte ki sabji you get to relish when you eat Dal, Baati and churma in Jaipur.
Rajasthani Gatte Ki Sabji | How To Make Soft Gatte Ki Sabji
Rajasthani gatte ki sabji is a marwar speciality in which boiled gatta made of besan are served in a spicy tasty curd based gravy. This curry does not use tomatoes. Instead the sourness is added with curd. Lets learn how to make soft gatte ki sabji.
For Gatte :
- 6 tblsp Besan (Gramflour)
- 1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 6 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain (Carrom Seeds)
- Salt to taste
Ingredients For Curry / Gravy :
- 1 big Onion
- 1 tblsp finely chopped Garlic (Lehsun)
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi)
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/4 tsp Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder (Do Not Skip)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tblsp Dhania Patti (Green Coriander Leaves)
- 2 – 3 tblsp Ghee / Cooking Oil
How to Make Rajasthani Gatta Curry :
To prepare the soft gatte :
- In pan put 2 cups of water to boil.
- Meanwhile mix together all the ingredients under the gatta section. Initially do not add any water just try to mix everything. Once a crumbly dough is formed, then little by little add water and knead a medium stiff dough. Be careful while kneading with water. Dough should not be very soft otherwise the gatta will break when boiling.
- Now make 5-6 thin long gatta logs out of this dough. Use oil on palms while preparing these gatta logs.
- By this time the water will be boiling hot. Put these logs one by one in boiling water and cook for 10-12 minutes approx. To check if the gattas are cooked you will notice that they will start floating up and will have bubbles on its coat. Also you can prick one of them with a knife. If it comes out clean the gatte ka cooked. Take them out carefully one by one from the boiling water. Do not throw this boiling water as it will be used later for the gravy.
- Let them cool down little. Cut these gattas into small pieces and keep them aside.
How to make the curry / gravy :
- In a small bowl take 1 tablespoon of water, kashmiri red chilly powder (for bright red color), red chilly powder, turmeric and coriander powder. Mix well and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Also beat the curd smooth.
- In a kadai, heat oil / ghee, add the jeera seeds.
- When the jeera begins to crackle add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Let the onion cook till fully cooked and light brown.
- Now add the soaked masalas prepared earlier. Let the masala cook till the oil separates from the sides.
- At this stage add the beaten curd. Let the curd cook on high flame till the white specs of the curd disappear completely. Keep stirring constantly.
- This should take 5 – 7 mins depending upon how much water is there in the curd.
- Keep cooking this masala till all the curd disappears and bright red color of gravy comes up. Do not be in a hurry. Let a bright red color appear.
- Now add the chopped gattas and mix well.
- Add salt and garam masala.
- Cook on medium flame for 5 mins for the gattas to soak some flavors.
- Now add 1 cup of water kept aside after boiling the gattas. If the water is less you can add normal water to get the desired consistency.
- Cover the kadai and on low flame let the gattas cook for 5 mins.
- Then add the crushed kasoori methi leaves and half of the chopped hara dhania.
- Dish out the gattas in a serving bowl.
- Garnish with some more hara dhania.
- Serve hot with roti, baati or steamed rice.
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Rajasthani Gatta Curry :
Storage Tips :
- You can prepare the gatta in advance and keep them stored in refrigerator for a week or in a deep frizer for 3 – 4 months.
To reuse the gatta bring them to room temperature and then prepare the gravy or curry and use them.