Here is the famous Rajasthani Dal Bati recipe. Dal bati is the most popular food in the Rajasthani cuisine. It is the symbol of Rajasthani Aan, Baan & Shaan. Dal bati is generally accompanied with churma. The dal is the combination of five different dals with spices. And the bati is made of coarse whole wheat baked over fire or oven. Dal bati is served with dollops of ghee. It is a traditional meal of any Rajasthani household. This dish is generally prepared during festivals and special occasions. Lets learn how to make Rajasthani Dal Bati in microwave oven.
Rajasthani Dal Bati In Microwave Oven
Dal Bati is a traditional dish from Rajasthan. Authentic bati is roasted in earthen ware. But worry not. Here is the recipe to make bati in microwave oven. It is really very easy and the bati are super yummy and delicious. You actually do not need to dip in the ghee. Serve with dal and plain salad.
- Mix Dal
- Whole Wheat Atta
- Ghee Clarified Butter
Ingredients For Bati:
- 2 cup Whole wheat flour (Atta)
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- Salt as per taste
- A pinch Ajwain
- 4 – 5 tblsp Ghee (minimum 4 tblsp is necessary)
- Water as needed
Ingredients For Dal:
- 2 cup Mixed dals (1/4 cup Moong Dal Dhuli, 1/4 cup Arhar Dal, 1/4 cup Chana Dal, 1/8 cup Slit Moong Dal ( Chilke Wali)1/8 cup Slit Urad Dal (Dhuli))
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 inch Ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
- 2 broken Whole Dry Red Chilly
- 2 – 3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 1 medium Onion chopped finely
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 3 Green Chilly chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 tblsp Ghee
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 Lemon Juice
How to make dal bati ki bati : :
- In a large bowl mix all the above ingredients well, except water. The mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
- Now add water slowly and knead the dough into a tight dough. Keep it aside covered for 1/2 hour.
- After half an hour, make round balls of equal size of the entire dough. Press each ball slightly from the middle and make it like small balls.
- Grease a baking tray with ghee and place each bati on it. Brush each bati with ghee.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg and place the tray to bake for 30 minutes.
- After about 15 minutes check your batis. If a light brown color is acquired, brush the batis again with some ghee. Since they are in the shape of balls, they will take time to bake.Once the batis are baked from both sides to a nice brown colour, remove them from the oven.
- Take about 1/2 cup of ghee in a bowl, and soak each bati in the ghee for a few seconds, remove and place them in a serving dish.
- You can omit this step as the batis are already brushed with ghee while baking. Serve with dal, sabji or kadhi.
How to make dal :
- Soak all the dals in about three cups of water for an hour. Boil the dals in cooker up to 3 whistles.
- Once done and mash them properly with the back of a round ladle.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, hing, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and allow them to splutter and release their aroma.
- Add onions and saute till pink.
- Add the ginger, green chillies, tomatoes. Sauté till the oil separates.
- Add the cooked dals to this and mix well till it blends properly. Allow to simmer for 5 mins.
- Switch off the flame and dd juice of lemon and garnish with chopped green coriander.
How to serve dal bati:
- Warm the dal again till piping hot.
- Break 2 -3 batis into pieces in a serving dish and pour 1 tblsp melted ghee evenly over it. Pour 1/4 of the dal evenly over it.
- Sprinkle 2 tblsp of onions and 1/2 tsp lemon juice evenly over it.
Storage Tips :
You can dal for 2 – 3 days. And bati remain fresh for 15 – 20 days .
Reheating Tips :
You can simply reheat the bati in the microwave for 1 – 2 mins. And do the same for dal and microwave for 2 – 3 mins.