Stuffed Karela or bharwa karela are really amazingily tasty. Not many people are fond of karelas. Their bitterness makes them less desirable. But here is a recipe which makes it less bitter and super tasty. The use of fennel seeds and onions adds sweetness to the dish. If you are using seasons fresh karelas then you can use them directly they do not need to be boiled or rubbed with salt. Here is the recipe for the onion stuffed karelas. These Karelas can be cooked and kept in fridge for 3-4 days as no water added to them. This makes stuffed karelas perfect item while travelling. Pack some parathas and stuffed karelas for your next trip.
Stuffed Karela Punjabi Style | Stuffed Bitter Gourd Indian Recipe
Here is a stuffed karela recipe which is really delicious and easy to make. The sweetness of onions and fennel make it a special dish. All you need are regular spices from your kitchen spice box. Since these karelas do not use water at all thats why they are perfect for road travel and journey.
- Karela (Bitter Gourd)
- Garam Masala
- 7 – 8 Karelas (Bittergourd)
- 5 – 6 medium Onions
- 1 – 2 Green Chillies
- For stuffing
- 1 tsp Saunf Powder (Fennel Seeds Powder)
- 1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Amchoor Powder (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- White Thread
How to Make Stuffed Karela Punjabi Style :
- Scrape the skin of the karelas. Take off maximum green off the karelas and rub some salt to them. Leave them covered for at least 1 hour. You can keep overnite too in the fridge. This will reduce the bitterness which Karela is known for.
- Later wash them nicely. Squeeze out all the water.
- Make slits in each karela to create a pocket.
- Chop the 3 – 4 onions finely. We will use these onions for stuffing. Also slice 2 onions lengthwise. These onions we will use as sabji.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add chopped onions. Fry till pinkish brown.
- Add chopped green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Now mix all the dry masalas and salt. Add less salt as we have already added earlier. Be careful.
- Then fry for a minute. Switch off the flame.
- Let this masala cool down.
- Then fill this masala in the pocket of each karela and tie tightly with a thread to seal them.
- Now add 4 – 5 tablespoons of mustard oil in a kadai. Smoke it. Let it cool .You can use regular oil too. You may use less oil if you want.
- Again heat the oil and add jeera and when it splutters add the sliced onions and fry them till golden.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Now in the remaining oil in the kadai add the stuffed karelas and on medium flame cook from all sides turning in between till well cooked and golden.
- Remove the threads when cool. Serve with paranthas.
What To Serve With Stuffed Karela :
- You can serve stuffed karela with plain paratha or roti.
- They taste great with poori too.
- If your are travelling make a handy wrap with stuffed karela rolled inside paratha.
Storage Tips :
- The shelf life of these karelas is pretty long. In fridge they stay good for 4 – 5 days. Even without refrigeration stay good for 1 – 2 days easily. This makes them the perfect travel food item.
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: You can heat them for 2 – 3 minutes in microwave.
Air Fryer: You can air fry the stuffed karelas too. Palce them in the basket and air fry them at 180 degrees for 3 – 4 mins. They get real crisp.