Sukhe kale chane is a very quick recipe to make. Sukhe kale chane are generally served with poori especially on Ashtami and Navami. The prashaad for bhog consist of poori, halwa and sukhe kale chana. Shudh satwik bhojan without onion and garlic. These sookhe kale chane taste great with plain paratha and mango pickle too. They make a great lunch box, travel and breakfast item. These kale chane are nutritious and packed with protein. Just prepare them and add some chopped cucumber, tomatoes, green chillies and fresh green coriander and they become a power packed protein rich salad which you can have as a post workout meal.
Sukhe Kale Chane | Kala Chana Ashtami Recipe | Dry Kala Chana
Sukhe kale chane are just chane sauted in some oil with very basic dry masalas. Generally these dry kale chane are made as ashtami prasad along with poori. But these kale chane taste great with plain paratha too. They are great for road travel and journey as they do not spoil for long.
- Kale Chana (Black Chickpeas)
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- Garam Masala
- 1 cup Kale Chane Black Chana
- 2 tbsp Ghee / oil
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 2-3 Green Chilies slit
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp fresh Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
How to Make sukhe kale chane :
- Wash and soak the kale chane overnight in water. In the morning they have doubled in size.
- Throw away that water and boil them with 1/2 tsp salt and 3 cups of water in pressure cooker. Give 5 – 6 whistles and then let the pressure release naturally. Check for the doneness of the kale chane by squeeshing them between them your fingers. If you feel it is taking effort to mash the chana then let cook for 2 – 3 whistles more.
- Later separate the water and the chane. We will be just using the kae chane.
- Now in a pan, heat ghee, add the jeera seeds. When they begn to crackle add the slit green chillies.
- Let it fry for a minute and then add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala, coriander powder,chaat masala and some salt. Add the salt carefully as you have already added salt while boiling.
- Now add only the boiled chane. Add a little bit of the chana water if it is too dry and cook for 4-5 minutes. Lower the flame and let the chane cook for 1 – 2 minutes or till the chane attain a oil sheen.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with green coriander.
- Serve with aloo ki sabji, poori and pickle.
What To Serve With Sukhe Kale Chane :
- You can serve these kale chane with poori, halwa and aloo ki sabji.
- You can also serve plain paratha with kale chane.
Storage Tips :
- You can store these kale chane for 2 – 3 days. They stay fresh for quite some days.
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: You can heat them in the microwave for 3 – 4 minutes.
Stovetop: To reheat on stovetop, heat some oil in a pan and add the chane. On low flame keep stirring till they become hot.