Here is the very famous Rajasthani aloo pyaz paneer ki sabji recipe. This sabji is super spicy but has this amazing flavor. Because of the extreme hot conditions and lack of water, the dishes from Rajasthan use extensively red chillies and excess of oil. Both these ingredients increase the shelf life of the dishes. Here is the very famous Jaipuri aloo pyaz paneer ki sabji, which has gained popularity in the recent past.
Rajasthani Aloo Pyaz Paneer Ki Sabji | Jaipuri Aloo Pyaz Ki Sabzi
A popular authentic Rajasthani aloo pyaz paneer ki sabji. Potatoes, small onions (shallots) and paneer cubes are deep fried and then served in spicy tomato onion gravy. It is generally served with bejad roti or tikkad.
- Aloo Potatoes
- Pyaz Onion
- Paneer Cottage Cheese
- Curd Dahi
- Malai Cream from milk
- 6 Baby Potatoes
- 6 Small Size Onions
- 200 gms Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
- 1 cup Onion paste
- 1 cup Fresh Tomato Puree
- 1 tblsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tblsp Ginger Paste
- 2 – 3 tblsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 -3 Green Chilly
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 2 – 3 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tblsp Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak
- 1 tbslp Garam Masala
- Salt To taste
- 1/2 cup Malai
- 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi)
- 1 big tsp Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- Oil For frying
- Khada Masala:
- 2 Moti Elaichi (Brown Cardamom)
- 4 – 5 Laung (Cloves)
- 1″ inch Cinnamon
- 2 Tej Patta
- 1 small piece Javitri
How to Make Rajasthani Aloo Pyaz Paneer Ki Sabji :
- Peel the potatoes and onions. Keep them dipped in water for some water so that the potatoes do not get discolored.
- Cut the paneer in big cubes.
- There are two parts of the recipe. You can proceed with both the steps simultaneoulsy or one by one.
- Step 1 – Frying
- Heat the oil for frying, on medium flame first fry the potatoes. Fry the potatoes. They should be completely cooked. Then fry the paneer cubes till golden. make sure the paneer are golden from all sides. This will really enhance the color of the sabji. Lastly fry the onions. This should take only 3 – 4 mins. Do not over fry the onions or they will lose their crunch and body in the gravy while cooking.
- Keep them all aside.
- Step 2 – Gravy
- Take a heavy bottom kadai, heat the vegetable oil and add the masalas listed under – khada masala section.
- Next add the jeera seeds (cumin seeds), once the jeera begins to crackle add the onion paste.
- On medium flame cook the onion paste till golden brown. This should take 10 – 15 mins on medium – low flame. Do not be tempted to increase the flame. Golden color of onion paste will come only on low flame cooking.
- Next add the ginger paste and garlic paste.
- Cook for another 5 mins till the raw smell of the garlic disappears and takes on a golden color.
- Next add the Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder at this stage. The red color of the gravy will come then only. If you put it later you might not get the right color.
- Cook for just 30 secs and then add the tomato paste.
- Cook the tomato paste till the tomato puree thickens and oil separates from the sides. Add the green chillies.
- Now add the dry masalas – salt, red chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala and kala namak.
- Add 1 tblsp of water at this stage and cook for 1 min.
- Next add beaten curd / dahi. Cook till all the water disappears.
- Next add beaten malai and cook till the oil separates from the sides. Keep stirring constantly.
- Now add 1/2 cup of warm water. Cover and cook on low flame till the gravy gets competely cooked and oil sperates.
- Add the fried potatoes and paneer cubes. Add enough water to get desired consistency.
- Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Lastly add the fried onions.
- Cook for just a min or so.
- Switch off the flame and add crushed kasoori leaves.
- Serve it hot with bejad roti and green chutney and onion salad.
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Rajasthani Aloo Pyaz Ki Sabzi :
- Chutney: Serve with Lehsun Ki Chutney
- Breads: Bejad Roti, Tandoori Roti.
- Dessert: Serve it with rabdi, gulab jamun.
- Drinks: Serve with masala chaas (buttermilk)
Storage Tips :
- Cool the dish quickly after cooking, ideally within an hour, and keep in airtight containers in the fridge.
- Can be kept for three to four days in the refrigerator
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: Pour a little bit of water or oil to retain the moisture in the dish. Try to cover it with a microwave safe lid. Reheat it for 2 mins in microwave.
Stovetop: Keep heat low to avoid overcooking.
Before placing dish in the pan, add a bit of oil or butter of your choice
Boil 1/2 cup of water separately and add it to the dish