Rajma chawal is a simple yet delicious meal. Rajma is rich and iron and protein when it is combined with rice it is a great source of carbohydrates. So it makes a wholesome meal. It is great meal for kids lunch box too as it one of the favorite dish among the kids. Here is the punjabi style rajma chawal recipe in English.
Rajma Chawal Punjabi Style | How To Make Rajma Chawal
Rajma chawal is a comforting wholesome meal enough to cheer you up. Rajma chawal punjabi style is perfect enough to fall in love with it’s Deliciousness. Presenting a very simple recipe, with very less efforts but yields you great taste. Lets learn how to make rajma chawal.
- Rajma (Kidney Beans)
- Garam Masala
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Chawal (Rice)
Ingredients for Rajma Curry :
- 1 cup red kidney beans (used chitrre rajma)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger (grated)
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (grated)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
Ingredients for chawal:
- 1 cup rice
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
How to make rajma chawal punjabi style:
Method for making Rajma curry:
- Wash the rajma and soak them overnight or for 6 – 8 hours.
- Take a pan, add 3 cups of water along with soaked kidney beans and a pinch of salt. Throw away the water in which the rajma were soaked. Do not use this water as this causes indigestion. Cook them for 20 to 30 minute till the rajma are soft and tender.
- Take a small bowl add all the spices, chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and pepper. Mix all the spices well.
- Take a kadai, heat oil in it. Add the chopped onions; cook for 7-8 minute until onions turns golden brown in color.
- Add the garlic and green chili, cook for a minute.
- Then add ginger and tomatoes and the spice mixture from the bowl. Cook for 7-8 minute till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the cooked rajma along with butter and one cup of water. Let it cook for 30 minutes on the low flame.(if the rajma is cooked for more time it becomes more tastier as all the spices gets into it).
- Now with the help of ladle mash a table spoon of Rajma. This will thicken the gravy. Adjust the water as per the gravy requirement. With Open lid, let it simmer for 5 minutes at low flame.
- Take it out in a serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with plain steamed rice.
Method for making steamed rice:
- Wash the rice properly and keep aside.
- Take a pan, add water to it. Let it boil.
- When water starts to boil, add rice and salt. Cook for 15 minute and then reduce the heat let it cook till the rice in completely soft but not mushy.
- Switch off the heat and drain the starch water by pouring the rice and water over colander.
- Transfer the rice in a bowl.
- Serve hot.
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Rajma Chawal :
Storage Tips :
- Cool the dish quickly after cooking, ideally within an hour, and keep in airtight containers in the fridge.
- Rajma chawal can be kept for 1 – 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Rajma curry can be used for a month in deep freezer. But it is not advisable to store rice for more than a day
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: Pour a little bit of water in the rajma curry. Try to cover it with a microwave safe lid. Reheat it for 2 mins in microwave.
Stovetop: Heat some water in a pan, then add the desired amount of rajma curry. Let it simmer for 5 – 10 mins.