Murgh musallam means whole chicken. In chicken murgh musallam the whole chicken is smeared with masala. Learn how to make murgh musallam.
- 10 flakes garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- Salt To Taste
- 1 cup curd or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3/4th cup shelled peas
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 cup ghee
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 225gms/1/2 lb tomatoes (peeled & sliced)
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
How to make chicken murgh musallam :
- Mix three-quarter of garlic with half the ginger, half the garam masala, 1 tbsp. salt, 1/3rd of turmeric, half of curd and the lemon juice and mix to paste.
- Make small cuts in the chicken flesh and rub the paste all over and in the cavity. keep aside for 2 hours.
- Half cook the rice with peas, remaining garlic , 4 cloves, peppercorns, 1/2 tsp. salt, brown cardamom and 4 bay leaves and water and use to stuff chicken.
- Heat the ghee in saucepan and fry the chicken until brown all over, being careful not to let the stuffing out. Drain the chicken.
- In another pan fry half onions in the remaining ghee with 2 bay leaves, remaining cloves and green cardamoms, until golden.
- Add the remaining turmeric and chili powder. Make a paste grinding together the coriander and cumin seeds and the remaining onion and grated ginger.
- Cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes, until the ghee starts to separate. add the remaining curd, the tomato and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Add the chicken to the pan and baste with the spice mixture. Pour over 300ml/ 11/4 cups of water, cover and cook in a moderately hot oven (200 degree centigrade, 400 degree Fahrenheit, gas mark 6) for 1 hour.
- Steep the saffron in the remaining garam masala powder and coriander leaves before serving murgh musallam.