Lauki ki sabzi is a super easy and nutritious sabzi. People have an aversion to this vegetable but please believe me, once you taste this sabzi you devour it. This humble bottlegourd sabzi is not only quick to prepare but requires very few ingredients too. Read along and find out how to make Punjabi style lauki ki sabji.
- 1 medium sized or 700 gms Lauki
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp Oil
How to make Indian bottlegourd sabzi:
- Peel and wash and cut the lauki in cubes. Do not soak the cut lauki cubes in water as it will lose all the nutrients. Just use it immediately.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and onions and fry till golden brown. Garlic is optional.
- Now add tomatoes and rest of the dry spices except salt. Mix well and cook till oil starts to separate.
- Now add lauki and salt and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 4 whistles on medium flame. If using a pan then cook the sabzi in a covered pan till the gourd is soft. Stirring occasionally.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- If you feel that the sabzi is watery then put it back on flame and cook till the vegetable is semi-dry.
- This lauki ki sabji Punjabi style tastes delicious with chapatis and raita on a hot summer day.