Karela Onion fry is the part of every household menu in Northern India. Karela Pyaz kisabji is a special combination of sweet onions with bitter karelas. And addition of saunf and coriander powder makes it all the more different. Bitter Gourd onion recipe is easy to follow and can be prepared and kept in fridge for later use as it does not use water. As a child I always disliked it but once I realized the importance of karela or bittergourd and how easily it can be made part of our daily meals I just fell in love with bitter gourd and tried many new recipes. This one is the most common and easiest.
- 6 – 7 Karela (Bitter Gourd)
- 2 medium Onions
- 2 – 3 Green Chillies (optional)
- 3 tblsp Mustard Oil / Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Saunf Powder (Fennel Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
How to Make Karela Onion Fry :
- Wash the karelas and gently scrape the skin till all the green disappears.
- Now cut them in round shape and smear them with some salt and keep them aside for 1 hour.
- Then squeeze them to take out the bitterness from the karelas.
- Wash them under running water squeezing them at the same time.
- Now squeeze out all the water and leave them to dry.
- Slice the onions thickly. If too thin they will burn and not add the crunch.
- In a kadai heat mustard oil to smoking point and then shut off the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Once the temperature reduces, add the jeera and let it sputter.
- Add the cut karelas and mix well.
- Cover it and let it cook on low flame till the karelas starts to get slight color.
- Now add the sliced onions and stir well.
- Cover and cook again till the onions are golden in color. Remember to stir in between.
- Now add the red chilly powder, saunf powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, amchoor powder and salt. Check the Salt before adding as the karelas were already rubbed with salt.
- Give it a good mix and then let it cook for 5 more minutes till all the masalas get cooked and assimilated withe the karelas.
- Serve hot or cold as a side dish with any dal, curry or with hot crispy parathas.
- It is ideal for lunch box packs and tiffins and even for car / train travel.
You may also like these :
What To Serve With Karela Onion Fry :
- You can serve Arhar dal – chawal , Cucumber Raita and roti.
- Rajama Curry, Dal Tadka, Roti, raita.
Storage Tips :
- The best thing about this sabji is that stays good for a very long time. 2 days at room temperature and a week in fridge. Thats why this sabji is a perfect travel food item. So for your next trip pack this karela onion sabji along with plain paratha.
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: You can microwave them for 2 – 3 mins.
Air Fryer: You can air fry them for 3 – 4 mins.
Stovetop: To reheat them on stovetop, heat on medium flame a tawa / pan. Switch off the flame and now put the karelas on it. Cover and leave it for 5 mins. Flip them once so that they get reheated evenly.