Here is a very unique achari murgh recipe.Achari means pickling. So this chicken masala has all the Punjabi pickle masalas. This jazz up the dish. Learn how to make achari murgh restaurant style. It is easy and simple.
Total Time: 1 hr + 3 hrs Marinating
- 1/2 Kg Chicken
- 2 small Onions grinded
- 2 tomatoes grinded
- 70 gms Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2tblsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Jeera Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Cup Beaten Dahi (Yogurt)
- 2 Green Chilly Slit
- 2 Dry Red Chilly
- 1 tsp Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
- 11/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 1 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana)
- 4 tblsp Mustard Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Few Curry Leaves
How to make Achari Murgh :
- Take a bowl and mix together curd, ginger garlic paste, red chilly powder, jeera powder, coriander powder, green chillies and salt. Mix well.
- Then add chicken pieces. Mix well so that all the chicken pieces are well coated with the marinade. Cover and keep aside for 3 – 4 hours.
- Later heat mustard oil in a kadai and add dry red chillies and then all the whole spices – Nigella Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Fennel Seeds and Fenugreek Seeds.
- When the seeds begin to sputter add the curry leaves and then add the onions. Saute till the onion paste becomes brown. Keep scraping it frequently.
- Now add the tomato paste. Cook it till all the raw smell disappears. Now add the marinated chicken pieces.
- On a high flame cook the chicken pieces till half done. Time may vary from 10 – 15 minutes. Keep stirring continuously so that all the chicken pieces get nicely cooked. The color will change to brown. Make sure the marinade does not get burnt.
- When you get the desired brown color add water to get your desired consistency and cover it and cook on low flame.
- Occassionally stir it and once the chicken is cooked well and the oil separates, dish it out and serve with preferred roti or naan.
- Tip:To make it sourer you can add little tamarind pulp in the end too.